Sunday 30 September 2012

Who Review: The Angels Take Manhattan

I absolutely bawled my eyes out at this episode. And I couldn’t be happier about that fact.

I’d seen the trailers, I knew this was the finale, last week was fairly decent, and it’s the return of the Weeping Angels. For the first time in what feels like forever I was genuinely excited about watching this week’s episode The Angels Take Manhattan, and I am ludicrously happy to say that I wasn’t let down. I didn’t even have to try to like this episode, I honestly loved it. More than one person had told me it wasn’t that great, so I was a little worried, but personally I thought it was definitely a case of save the best ‘til last. 

Whilst the introductory scene went on a little longer than I would have liked, it nevertheless was a stunning opening that gave me actual shivers. It established the threat and gave us the first in a long list of punch-in-the-gut moments; “I’m you.” Classic, concise, and followed by a short sharp chase by the most terrifying of Who monsters. Monsters that were actually doing what they were supposed to in this episode; sending people back in time to live to death, so they can feed off their time energy. Whilst I enjoyed The Forest of Angels back in season five, it did bother me that the angels were snapping necks for some unexplained reason. Here they’re farming humans for time energy, which adds something new whilst keeping them true to their original form.

Don't blink!
 I really loved the concept of the book in this episode, despite the slightly obvious “I hate endings” from the Doctor as he ripped out the last page. We know this is Amy and Rory’s last episode, no need to hang a neon sign up. Overall though, I found this to be a clever technique that for once didn’t act as a get-out-of-jail-free card for plot-holes. The book also added the dilemma of ‘fixed time’, and the issue of River’s wrist needing to be broken “because Amy read it in a book” also foreshadowed something more sinister, and highlighted the danger of ‘spoilers’. I was honestly touched when River tried to hide the fact she had broken her wrist to give the Doctor hope that Amy didn’t have to leave.

That’s another thing that this episode did exceptionally well for a change; the relationship between the Doctor and River. For the first time since Silence in the Library it felt like an actual relationship, rather than a collision of fixed fates built on cheap innuendos. Finally, this relationship feels like something real. We still got River’s cheeky personality coming through (“If it was easy I’d have asked you to do it”), but her vulnerability and genuine emotion wasn’t sacrificed in its place. This is a mature River, the River we first met in season four, and a River I actually warmed to. For the first time in too long, I care. I actually really care about these characters, which of course made the ending even more heart-breaking to watch. 

Let's keep this River. I like her.
The pacing of this episode was as close to spot-on as I think it can get at this point. There were no long dragging expositional scenes or lags in plot, but it didn’t all whiz by so quickly I couldn’t keep up. It was exciting, and my eyes were glued to the screen in a way they have not been so much as of late. Instead of just waiting for the episode to end, I was wishing it wouldn’t. 

The emotion displayed in this episode was also brilliant. And horrible. And brilliant. Both of Rory’s dying scenes (I was wondering when he was going to get around to dying in this series) had me sobbing into a pillow, and the way the Doctor loses it over Amy leaving was crushing. It was completely selfish of him to ask her to stay, to say “Come along Pond,” and expect her to walk away from her husband’s grave just like that. But it showed his human side, and with River there to encourage Amy along it really worked. I was worried for a second that it was going to be a ‘happily ever after’ ending – I’ve never been so happy to be so heartbroken. Moffat managed to kill them off, without actually killing them off. We know they led a long and happy life together, but still tinged with a tragedy that was needed to round off their story. 


 Now, there were a few things in this episode that did annoy me, as they always do. The reference to the fact that the Doctor has wiped himself off all records and now nobody knows who he is again just feels like a shortcut to put the Doctor back to square one, just in time for a new companion. And despite the fact that I really loved a more mature River Song, I was a bit confused; isn't she supposed to be getting further and further away from who she is in Silence of the Library? I thought the whole point was that we are going backwards through her timeline? Also, there’s that small issue of the Statue of Liberty having a wander across New York every now and again for an impact scare. Really? Not one single person in the city that never sleeps turned around and saw a massive stone statue frozen halfway to Winter Quay?

From http://chirravutever.tumblr.com/post/32568928253
But despite the fact that these (admittedly highly annoying) errors sadly exist, they didn’t take away the fact that overall I was very impressed with this episode. Maybe it’s because I’m slowly learning not to hold Steven Moffatt up against Russell T Davies, but the main point of the show is to entertain… and despite the fact I was in tears for half of it, I was very entertained. These issues are things I can’t usually look over, because the episodes have failed to make me feel anything about the characters. But here I was happy to nod and let things slide, as proper time was taken to make sure the reader was really sucked in to the story and able to suspend disbelief a little. Still not a great writing technique, but it's better than giving us nothing.

Roll on the Christmas special.



1 comment:

  1. It thought it was a let down
    I wish the building was a maze that was endless or
    They are running From the angels through new york and an angel catches rory by the hand in the middle of a large crowd Amy thinks it is safe and then river sees that her temporal displacement wrist thing is gone and then realizes that the crowd is not moving then they hear a large scream all ove new York and realize that that is the angel laughing then rory disappears and is sent back in time as they have already destroyed the paradox then they blink and the angel is gone then they go back to the tardis which is in the grave yard and Amy sees his grave stone and says "mine name should be there too" then river says "he is gone mother" then river song disappears and behind her is the weeping angel from before and as the doctor and Amy are staring at the angel Amy mumbles "enough room for two names" then she walks up to the angel and blinks then disappears the doctor stumbles back to the tardis crying and the tardis console screen says "a book always has an afterword" and the episode finishes just as it did though

    ReplyDelete